Fall and winter may be the year’s biggest baking seasons, what with all the pumpkin spice and Christmas cookies, but the warmer months have their standout baked goods, too. Spring and summer baking is all about fresh and fruity flavors. This light and fresh Lemon Blueberry Cake combines some of the season’s best ingredients.
When I think summer dessert, lemon is the first place my mind goes. Lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, lemon pound cakes. It’s such a fresh and zesty flavor that just screams summer. Meanwhile, blueberries are another summertime staple. When I was little, we would always go blueberry picking toward the end of summer. We’d spend the entire month of August making delicious blueberry pies, bars, and jams.
I don’t know what it is about these two flavors, but they just pair perfectly. Lemon and blueberry are both classic summer baking staples, and they’re even better together. Fresh, zesty lemon makes the perfect partner to sweet, gooey blueberries in this delicious summertime cake recipe.
One of the best things about summer baking is that there’s already an emphasis on keeping things clean and fresh. While heavy winter sweets and desserts are all about indulgence, summertime recipes naturally trend toward lighter fare. This Lemon Blueberry Cake takes things to the next level with a totally clean and vegan recipe.
This cake recipe uses coconut sugar, coconut milk, and whole-wheat flour in place of traditional baking ingredients. With these clean ingredients, the lemon juice, lemon zest, and fresh blueberries are free to really shine.
I’ve also included an optional (though highly recommended!) glaze to top this cake with. This clean, 4-ingredient glaze is super simple and really gives your cake a little extra sweetness and lemony flavor. Just lemon juice, lemon zest, powdered sugar, and coconut butter combine to make this sweet and delicious glaze, and just a little drizzle is all you’ll need to add major flavor and moisture to this cake.
One thing to note is that this cake won’t rise too much. It should just rise slightly and have a dense texture similar to pound cake. The texture makes this Lemon Blueberry Cake super versatile. It makes a perfect dessert, but its fresh flavor and pound-cake like texture also makes it ideal for a sweet breakfast bread or brunch treat.
This easy, simple, and delicious Lemon Blueberry Cake is a must-have recipe for summer baking. Try it out and let us know what you think in the comments!
Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice | Calories: 207 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 220mg | Carbohydrates: 40g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 20g | Protein: 4g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch cake pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a second large bowl, combine the lemon juice, zest, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Toss to coat the berries well then gently fold into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool for at least 20 minutes before trying to remove from the pan. Drizzle with optional glaze if desired, serve, and enjoy!
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Copyright 2018 Skinny Ms. ® All rights reserved.
More Sweet Lemon Recipes:
These light and clean muffins are a sweet and healthy way to start the day. This recipe also includes a sweet and zesty lemon glaze that can take these treats from breakfast to dessert.
Yep, you can use slow cookers for baking. If you’ve never tried it before, I’d definitely recommend starting with this recipe. These skinny lemon bars are a perfect clean version of this sweet summertime treat.